Nepal's EC to disqualify 66 underage PR candidates

Subscribe to Oneindia News


Kathmandu, Apr 2 : The Election Commission (EC) of Nepal is expected to debar at least 66 candidates, including 49 women belonging to 28 political parties from the closed lists of candidates, citing their underage.

On Tuesday, the EC revealed that most political parties have failed to comply with the provision of Constituent Assembly Member Election Act while submitting closed lists of their candidates under the proportional representation (PR) electoral system.

Candidates have to be 25 years to contest the elections.

Similarly, 227 candidates, including around 150 women, from 21 parties have not produced citizenship certificates.

EC Spokesperson Laxman Prasad Bhattarai said that out of 54 parties submitting the closed lists, 33 parties including the ruling seven party alliance (SPA), that formulated the Act, have failed to submit eligible name lists and necessary documents, and also asked all concerned parties to furnish clarifications at the EC by April 2.

EC had earlier said that only 22 candidates were underage.

According to Kantipur Report, some of the parties have submitted the names of candidates who have not crossed their teens. Initial records show that most political parties have failed to fulfill the mandatory requirement of 50 percent candidacies for women under the PR lists.

When asked about its consequences, an EC official said that the lists would not be disqualified even if the required percentage is not met after the removal of some disqualified women candidates.

ANI

Please Wait while comments are loading...