Fiona leaves Goa for London

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Panaji, Mar 30 (UNI) Fiona Mackenow, mother of slain British teenager Scarlett Eden Keeling, today left Goa for Mumbai en route to London after fighting a battle against drug cartels and the police for a month that drew global media attention.

The body of her daughter had already reached London Fiona has decided to ask doctors in UK for a third ''inquest'' on the body to find whether the observations corraborate with that of Goan forensic team, though it would not have any legal validity in India.

''I would love to revisit Goa provided I am given the visa. I cannot forget this place,'' Fiona told UNI a day before she left homewards and in the presence of her compatriot and one of the key witnesses in the case, Michael Mannion, at the residence of her legal advisor Vikram Varma.

Fiona met a two-member National Commission for Women (NCW) yesterday and reiterated her demand for a CBI probe into the entire episode, including the ''police-politician nexus with the drug cartels so that the truth behind the incident comes out''.

The NCW members -- Nirmala Venkatesh and S Sood -- were on a visit to Goa on receipt of Fiona's complaint on the issue. They had visited Anjuna beach in North Goa where the body of Scarlett was found on February 18. They also interacted with the police and other officials as part of their inquiry. The Commission is likely to submit its report to the Centre in a week's time.

Two suspects -- a bartender Samson D'Souza, and drug peddler Carvalho -- had been arrested in the case while the police sub-inspector concerned and forensic chief have been placed under suspension for ''lapses'' in dealing with the case.

Chief Minister Digambar Kamat had announced in the Legislative Assembly last week that he did not mind ordering a CBI probe into the case. The State Home Minister will seek the opinion of the Chief Minister, Chief Secretary and Inspector General of Police before recommending the case formally to the Centre for ordering the CBI probe next week, sources said.

The case, pertaining to the attack on the Panjim police headquarters on February 19 by a mob allegedly led by Taleigao MLA Atanasio Monserrate and subsequent thrashing of the legislator, his wife and city major, among others, would also be handed over to the CBI for probing next week, authorities said.

UNI BM MAZ SK AS1423

Please Wait while comments are loading...