Chargesheet in Keeling murder case would be filed soon: IGP

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Panaji, Mar 19 (UNI) The chargesheet in case of rape and murder of British teenager Scarlette Eden Keeling would soon be filed as investigation was almost complete, Inspector General of Police (crime) Kishan Kumar said here today.

He also said the police were examining the possibility of ''withdrawing the look out notice,'' it issued against one of the prime witnesses, Michael Mannion alias Masala, a British tourist, now that he had deposed evidence before the investigating officer the day before.

''We will withdraw the notice once we are thoroughly satisfied with the evidence and his conduct in the case. At the same time, we assure him of all security against assumed threats from the assailants,'' the IGP said, while speaking to UNI.

It might be recalled that Masala fled Goa to take help of the British High Commissioner in Mumbai following threats, he allegedly received from Samson D'Souza, who was the main suspect involved in the gory offence that shook the tourist state, questioning the safety of the tourists.

Samson, a bartender in a shack at the notorious Anjuna beach, was arrested on the charges of administering a cocktail of drugs in alcohol and then raping before dumping her in the shallow waters of the shore.

Another Goan Cavalho, a drug peddler, who allegedly administered the overdose of psychotropic drugs to the 15-year-old British in collusion with Samson, was also arrested subsequently.

Both had been under the police remand for fourteen days on instructions of a local court to facilitate further investigation.

The evidence of Michael, who was one of the key witnesses to the gory episode from the beginning, reportedly collaborated with the evidence so far collected by the police during the investigations.

The authorities had also been examining the prosecution of Keeling's mother Fiona for her ''outbursts and allegations'' against the Home Minister and the Director General of Police that they were in league with the drug cartels.

The possibility of booking for violating the provisions of the Goa Childrens' Act for leaving the minor girl to her own fate in Goa by Fiona, who herself underwent one year imprisonment for slitting the throat of a compatriot in Britain, was also being looked into.

The Home Minister Mr S Ravi Naik said he would ask the Union Home Ministry and the External Affairs Minister to refuse re-entry visa to the lady whose mission to visit India and source of income were questionable.

He had even urged the British authorities to disclose her mission of frequent visits to India and Goa and her financial background.

While condemning her ''irresponsible and reprehensible outbursts,'' he said, she was trying to divert the original case by blaming the authorities with some ulterior motives.

Chief Minister Mr Digambar Kamat had yesterday appraised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of the developments on the case and also assured him that Goa continues to be the safest international tourist destination.

It was on CM's intervention that the authorities conducted a second autopsy which pointed out rape and homicide. This had resulted in suspension of the Anjuna police station sub-inspector for lapses in investigation since the body of the victim was found on the beach on February 18.

Authorities were also probing into the lapses of the chief of forensic examination department of the Goa Medical College and Hospital for not giving satisfactory autopsy report when conducted first time.

UNI BM SR JT HT2057

Please Wait while comments are loading...