Orissa submits Rs.609 crore proposal to reduce Global warming

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bhubaneswar, Mar 18 (UNI) Concerned over Global warming and its likely impact on the ecology of the Orissa coast, the state government has submitted a Rs 609 crore proposal to the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation(NCRMP)to undertake various projects to reduce its effect.

Orissa Revenue and Disaster Mitigation Minister Manmohan Samal said the state would be able to protect the damages due to the disaster and reduce the impact on global warming once the proposal was cleared by the centre.

Replying to the admissibility of an adjournment motion and a calling attention motion,the Minister said a team led by National Disaster Mitigation Authority(NDMA) member Dr.Sashidhar Reddy had visited the state in June last and discussed the project with the state government officials.

On the basis of the detailed discussion with the team,the state government, Mr Samal said had submitted the proposal to the NCRMP which would be taken up by the centre and the assistance from the World Bank in seven coastal orissa districts.

He said while the centre would provide 75 per cent of the total requirement of the fund as grant,the rest 25 per cent would be provided by the state government.

Mr Samal said considering the gravity of the situation and the effect of the Global warming on the Orissa coast,the government has submitted a proposal to construct open sea wall of88.25 kms at a cost of Rs.173.53 crores,wall on the river mouth spread over 23.35 kms at an estimated cost of Rs.106.55 crore,new saline embankment over 74.82 kms at the cost of Rs.24.21 crores besides protection of banks spread over 43.20 kms at a cost of Rs.30.68 crore.

The Minister said the state government has identified 328 villages spread over six coastal districts across the 480 kms long coast line as tsunami and high tide prone area and accordingly prepared the project to minimise the impact.

UNI DP BA MSJ RN2222

Please Wait while comments are loading...