According to media reports, the death warrant for Sarabjit was received by authorities at Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore where he has been languishing for the last 17 years and will be executed on April 1. Sarabjit Singh's family is grief stricken after hearing the news of issuance of the death warrant. "I don't know what to say, I just need my innocent husband back with me," said Sarabjit Singh's wife Sukhpreet Kaur.
She said that her husband was the victim of mistaken identity.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is actually Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in the bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan that killed 14 people.
"I really fail to understand why not any government official here was ready to tell us the present status of my husband," complained Sukhpreet.
Sarabjit's daughter Poonam, who is giving her class X board exams, said: "At least we deserve to know what is the fate of my father in Pakistan."
Sarbjit's sister Dalbir Kaur and his elder daughter Swapandeep are in Delhi to generate support for his release.
It may be recalled that in an attempt to put a pressure on the governments of India and Pakistan, Dalbir had earlier threatened self-immolation.
The Indian Government has pressed for clemency for Sarabjit, but has not made a formal request on his behalf.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has rejected a mercy plea of Sarabjit close on the heels of the release of Kashmir Singh, another death row prisoner who was recently released by the neighbouring country.
Pakistan's Supreme Court had also rejected Sarabjit's mercy petition in March 2006.