The decision to bring him back to Britain was taken on Friday by Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, the Chief of the Defence Staff, as the presence of the 23-year-old second Lieutenant had been leaked on an American web site. Harry will now go back to the Household Cavalry barracks at Windsor, and keep a low profile over the coming weeks. He, however, is keen on performing his frontline duties. "I don't want to sit around in Windsor," the Telegraph quoted him as saying in an interview in Afghanistan. Harry's anxiety to return to Afghanistan is also due to the fact that he has completed only 10 weeks of his 14-weeks tour of duty, said the paper.
"He is frustrated about coming back and leaving his friends behind. But he is realistic and understands the way of the world," the paper quoted a senior courtier as saying.
When asked whether Harry wished to go back, the source said: "Yes, he does. And he hopes he can as his presence went undetected for 10 weeks. He feels he played a real role over there. But he knows it is a matter for the Ministry of Defence."
Harry's is the first member of the Royal Family to go on the frontline in a war zone ever since the Duke of York served in the Falklands War in 1982.
He will receive the Operational Service Medal (OSM) on his return.