According to a report in The Star, the court dismissed the Habeas Corpus application filed by the five. Judicial Commissioner Zainal Azman Ab Aziz, said that the country's Internal Security Minister need not have waited for the full 60-day investigation period before signing the order banishing the five to the Kamunting Detention Camp."From the affidavits filed by the minister (Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi), the police and the Kamunting Detention Camp commandant, it is shown that the detention of the five was in order," Zainal said before a packed court room.
Lawyers M. Manoharan, 46, V. Ganabatirau, 34, P. Uthayakumar, 46, and R. Kenghadaran, 40, along with Hindraf co-ordinator K. Vasantha Kumar, 34, named the internal security minister and the Kamunting detention centre commandant as respondents. They are seeking release and other orders deemed fit by the court following their detention since Dec 13.
Zainal also read a portion of Abdullah's affidavit in his judgment that stated there was sufficient grounds that led the prime minister to believe that the five were active leaders involved in Hindraf, which was an unregistered body.
Zainal also pointed out that a gathering on November 25 last year to hand over a memorandum to the British High Commissioner was unlawful.
Counsel Karpal Singh and Gobind Singh Deo appeared for the plaintiffs, while Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail appeared for the respondents.
Karpal said he would be filing an appeal at the Federal Court next week.