CBI could question former Def Minister Fernandes soon in Barak deal

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Feb 27 (UNI) The Central Bureau of Investigation could soon question former defence minister George Fernandes in the Barak missile deal case, CBI sources said.

The sources said the questioning of Mr Fernandes was part of the agency's probe into the corruption in purchase of seven Barak missile systems from Israel.

''Under the normal procedure, all those who are in the needle of the probe are summoned and questioned. In this context, Mr Fernandes, during whose tenure as Defence Minister, the deal took place, could be questioned soon,''the sources said.

Former Navy chief Sushil Kumar is also to be summoned in the same case.

The Supreme Court had earlier questioned CBI as to why they hadn't questioned Mr Fernandes yet in the case, in which arms dealer Suresh Nanda is the main accused.

The CBI alleged that Nanda received Rs 400 crore from overseas after the Barak missile deal was signed between the Defence Ministry and an Israeli firm and had shown himself as a British national in Media-Asia Europe firm in the UK, a charge denied by him.

UNI AR BDP KP1958

Please Wait while comments are loading...