New Delhi, Feb 25 (UNI) The National Human Rights Commission has slammed the Rajasthan Government for not taking up expeditiously the complaint of a woman, whose family planning operation had failed six years ago, and directed the Health Secretary to appear before it on April 24.
It also asked the Health Secretary to institute an inquiry into the complaint by deputing an official from the Headquarters and to take necessary steps to pay the complainant, if any money was due to her.
The complainant, Manpreet Kaur, in her complaint had submitted that she had undergone tuectomy in June 2006 under the Family Planning scheme and was assured that she would get Rs 21,000 in the name of her daughter. But neither she got the money nor was the operation carried out successfully as she again became pregnant, she said.
Though the Commission had in 2001 directed the Health Secretary to look into the complaint and submit an action taken report, the authorities had not complied with the directions till October 2007.
The Government gave its reply last month, saying that the complainant neither applied for the incentive nor informed the Department about the failure of the family planning operation.
The Commission described this reply as ''too casual and irresponsible'' which cannot be accepted.
The Commission said it forwards complaints of violation of human rights to the authorities for expeditious action and expects prompt action and replies.
It said it had brought this matter to the notice of the authorities six years ago, but instead of working on it, the Government had treated it very casually.
UNI MMG KD BST2033