Jamshedpur, Feb 25 (UNI) At least 70 shops in Bistupur's fruit market were reduced to ashes in the early hours today.
Police said properties of lakhs of rupees were lost in the devastating fire at Bistupur, situated at the heart of this town.
Five fire tenders took about 7-8 hours to douse the flame, police said.
Electrical short circuit might be the cause of the fire, police said. An invstigation was ordered to find out the causes of the fire.
Meanwhile, a delegation of the shop keepers met Deputy Chief Minister Sudhir Mahto and demaned for compensation.
Several politicains including Mr Mahto, BJP legislator from Jamshedpur, West, Saryu Rai visited the affected area.
UNI BDG PC AB SY BST1958