Jamshedpur, Feb 21 (UNI) A false report, published in a local Hindi daily here, regarding the abduction of star archer Jhanu Hansda, resulted in an FIR being lodged against the paper by her father.
The said report was published as a front page box story with a photo of Ms Hansda, stating that an FIR has been lodged with the Bistupur police station yesterday by the father of the 22-year-old archer, in which he said ''his daughter has been abducted by his neghibour Dilip Kumar on February 11.
The FIR stated that the abductor, a married man, had eloped with her daughter.
Jhanu, who had gone for her morning practice at the archery ground in JRD Tata Sports complex to prepare for World Cup Archery selection trial to be held in Kolkata on March 2 and 3, was shocked to hear the news.
Jhanu, a sub-inspector with the Jharkhand police, currently posted in Chaibasa, decided to take legal action against the newspaper for tarnishing her image by publishing false and misleading news.
A visibly upset Jhanu later told mediapersons here, ''My image has been tarnished by the newspaper and I am going to file a defamation case against the owner and the editor of the newspaper.
''No one had raised any question against my character so far but this media report has damaged my reputation. The reporter should have crosschecked before filing the story,'' she said.
Jhanu, who had bagged a bronze in individual and a silver in a team event in compound round in Asian archery championship last year in China, said ''though she was upset with the incident but asserted that it would never hamper her career''.
She also met the East Singhbhum district Police Superintendent N K Singh and urged him to take action against the newspaper.
UNI BDG LL DB1731