Sydney, Feb 18: Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef, who was wrongly accused of involvement in failed UK terror car bombings, has no case for compensation, Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty said.
Mr Keelty said there had been no formal approach from Dr Haneef's lawyers about compensation. The top police official told a Senate estimates hearing in Canberra today that the bungled investigation into the case, which cost 7.5 million dollars, would not change the way Federal police conducted investigations into terrorism cases, the ABC reported. ''As at the end of December 2007, expenses for the investigation are in excess of 7.5 million dollars. Because the matter is ongoing, the final costs are yet to be determined,'' he said.
''We have reviewed the Haneef matter as a matter of course and there's nothing that's arisen out of those reviews that required us to alter our policies or alter our approaches to those investigations,'' Mr Keelty said.
He said 249 AFP officers were involved in the investigation of Dr Haneef who examined more than 300 witness statements, 16 telephone excepts, forensic samples and seized 623 GB of computer data.
The Federal government plans to hold a judicial inquiry into the causes for wrongly charging the Indian doctor of terrorism charges.
Attorney-General Robert McClelland is expected soon to announce the details of a judicial inquiry into the Haneef case.
Welcoming the inquiry into the AFP's role in investigations into Haneef case, Mr Keelty said ''We have absolutely nothing to hide.'' Liberal Senator George Brandis, however, questioned how the government can announce an inquiry into a ''current and incomplete investigation''.