London, Feb 12 : Ex-Beatles pop star Sir Paul McCartney faced his estranged wife across a court room today to battle out what may prove to be the largest divorce settlement in British legal history.
Heather Mills McCartney was first to arrive ahead of the hearing at the High Court in London in a black Mercedes.
About an hour later Sir Paul and his lawyer Fiona Shackleton walked into the courtroom, 15 minutes before the hearing was due to start.
Only a few seconds after he strided into the court Lady McCartney left by another door looking grim faced. She again refused to comment.
She returned a few minutes later after applying some make-up. Officials ahead of the hearing in front of ustice Bennett wheeled several trolley loads of boxes into the court.
Lady McCartney had been hopeful of a last minute deal but none came and a source close to her said that she was prepared to fight her corner.
The couple, who have a three-year-old daughter named Beatrice, announced in May 2006 that they were ending their four-year marriage.
The 65-year-old former Beatle's fortune is estimated at 825 million pounds and reports have suggested Lady McCartney, 40, is looking to claim as much as 10 per cent of that.
This would exceed the record 48 million pounds.
Lady McCartney is representing herself, having parted company with her lawyers Mishcon de Reya.
At the time of their separation in 2006, the McCartneys said that they intended to keep their divorce "harmonious", raising the prospect of a civilised out-of-court settlement.
But their separation rapidly descended into one of the most acrimonious celebrity divorces in recent years, with both parties hiring some of the biggest names in family law, the Telegraph reported.