Karur, Feb 6: Tension prevailed for a while when some parents laid a siege to a private school after 67 inmates of the hostel fainted due to suspected food poisoning at Kalladai village near here yesterday.
Police said the students fainted on entering the school after partkaing the breakfast from the hostel mess. Despite this, the school authorities neither took steps to shift the students to hospital nor informed the incident to anyone.
The incident came to light when a parent visited the school and informed the matter to the Panchayat Union authorities.
Police and officials rushed to the school and shifted all the 67 students to the Government hospital at Thogamalai where 26 of them were admitted and rest treated as outpatients.
They pacified the parents and restored normalcy.
Police suspect that the students might have consumed 'junk' food.