New Delhi, Feb 5 (UNI) BJP Prime Ministerial nominee L K Advani has deferred all the Suraksha Sankalp rallies in the country barring those in Jabalpur, Davanagere and Delhi following intelligence agencies' advise to him regarding security threat, senior party leader Sushma Swaraj today said.
Talking to newspersons after a meeting of top party leaders at Mr Advani's residence, Mrs Swaraj said National Security Advisor M K Narayanan had met Mr Advani and his Rajya Sabha counterpart Jaswant Singh yesterday asking him to defer all his major public engagements at least for a month.
With this development, Mr Advani will attend tomorrow's Jabalpur rally. He will address rallies at Davanagere in Karnataka and Delhi on February 13 and 21 respectively according to the schedules. The party has chosen a rally each in North, South and Central India to demonstrate its resolve against terror threats posed by fundamentalist forces.
All other rallies, including the one at Rampur in Uttar Pradesh where the CRPF camp was attacked killing eight jawans, have been deferred and the party would take a decision on the rest of the scheduled rallies, Mrs Swaraj said.
Earlier in the day, BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar had stated that the party would go ahead with rally at Jabalpur but the Rampur rally stood 'postponed'. He however had declined to say if the postponement was because of 'security threats' as reported in the media.
Mr Advani had undertaken several rallies in the past including Ram Rath Yatra, Bharat Uday Yatra. He was to go ahead with the Suraksha Sankalp Yatra throughout the country by road after touching the state capitals as announced at the National Council meetings which concluded here on January 29.
UNI MCN MSJ DB2006