London, Jan 30 : Mohamed Al Fayed blasted a bodyguard who refused to attend a TV show on conspiracy theories behind Princess Diana's death, the inquest into her death has heard.
Kes Wingfield, one of two bodyguards assigned to the couple, told the jury that the fatal car crash that killed Diana and Fayed's son Dodi in August 1997, occurred due to Fayed's refusal to provide more security to the couple.
Wingfield said he resigned from his job with Fayed in 1998 after refusing to take part in a TV documentary promoting the "conspiracy" theories because he had no doubt the crash was a "tragic accident".
He said the Harrods boss "wasn't best pleased at all, he started ranting at me."
"It would have looked like I supported a conspiracy theory when in my mind it was a tragic accident," The Sun quoted him, as saying.
"Mr Fayed wasn't best pleased. He ranted at me about the Royal Family, the Government and swore a lot," he added.
Wingfield also revealed that he and his colleague Trevor Rees had argued with Dodi that his scheme for the couple to leave by the back door of the Ritz Hotel in Paris was "a terrible plan" because there would be no back-up car and no security guards.
But in response to their objections over his proposed escape from paparazzi at the front of the hotel, Dodi told them: "It's been approved by MF, approved by my father."
He said that five requests for more staff were snubbed by the Fayed organisation.
Wingfield said that if he and Rees had been allowed to "do our jobs properly" the Princess would still be alive today.
Al Fayed has consistently claimed that the accident was planned by the Duke of Edinburgh and engineered by British security services.