Bhubaneswar, Jan 21 ((UNI) At least five passengers were charred to death and 25 injured when a Madhya Pradesh Road Transport Corporation bus caught fire near Kalpana square here today.
The bus, which was coming from Puri with pilgrims, acidentally caught fire and the entire bus was engulfed in a ball of flame in no time in which five passengers were burnt alive, official sources said.
Locals rescued 25 passengers, who were rushed to the Capital Hospital with varying degrees of burn injuries.
The passengers were carrying woollen garments and kerosene stoves which might have prompted the fire blaze to spread so fast, the sources said.
The fire that broke out only metres away from the State Museum gutted the bus completely.
UNI DP BA NY RS1039