Clarke buries the hatchet, speaks to Kumble

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Perth, Jan 13 (UNI) Michael Clarke, who was in the eye of the storm during the Sydney Test, claims that he has buried the hatchet and the issues have been resolved with India captain Anil Kumble.

''I wanted to speak to Anil before I spoke to the media on both cases- the catch and my dismissal,'' he said. "I still, to this day, feel 100 per cent positive that I caught the catch fairly.

''I told him that and said with my dismissal that it was more out of shock and disappointment more than anything else.

''Anil was very supportive and said 'mate I understand'.

We've played a fair bit of cricket against each other and he knows I'm not the kind of person to try and harm the game; the last thing I'd want is to put the game in jeopardy.'' Clarke, who was involved in a couple of dubious incidents, had copped a fair bit of criticism for not walking after edging to slip during the Australian second innings.

''I was really excited to get out there and do well, with family and friends all at the game, after failing in the first innings,'' Clarke explained.

''When I went to cut the ball and it come off my glove and went to slip it was more just the shock and disappointment of failing and getting my first first-baller in Test cricket.'' ''In hindsight and if I had my time again, I wish I had just walked straight off the field. I hope it doesn't happen too many times, I hope I don't get too many ducks in Test cricket, but if it happens again, I'm certain I will react differently,'' he added.

The 26-year-old from New South Wales, however, hoped that the despite all the unpleasant incidents, the show will go on.

''Fingers crossed I'm hoping they definitely stay for the rest of the Test series and the one-dayers because you look forward to every chance you get to play India. It's up to BCCI and Anil and whoever is in charge.'' Clarke refused to comment on the Harbhajan-Symonds controversy stating that there was no room for racism in the game.

''That's why the ICC and the Indian board dealt with the stuff with spectators in India [during the ODI series last year].'' He was positive that the third Test, which starts at Perth on January 16, would be played in the true spirit of the game.

The Aussies will be pushing for their 17th consecutive Test victory, a triumph that would break the world record set by Steve Waugh's side between 1999 and 2001.

''The Australians are keen as mustard to get out here and win this 17th Test match in a row," Clarke said. ''It's a reminder about why we are the best cricket team in the world, what we do to achieve such highs in all forms of the game except Twenty20 at the moment.

''I think he [Ricky Ponting] will want to remind us about that and make sure that we keep playing it like that for a long time.'' UNI XC AB RAR RN1900

Please Wait while comments are loading...