71% of unorganised manufacturing exists in rural India: Survey

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Dec 29 (UNI) More than 71 per cent of manufacturing enterprises today exists in the country's rural tracts with West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh leading among the states having the maximum number of such industries, a government survey released here today said.

According to the NSS 62nd Round survey report, the number of unorganised manufacturing enterprises which is estimated at 17.07 million in the country, only 29 per cent are in the urban areas as of 2005-06.

The Report shows that two States-- West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh--together had 30 per cent of all unorganised manufacturing enterprises in the country.

Own Account Manufacturing Enterprises(OAME) constituted 86 per cent of all enterprises and the remaining 14 per cent were establishments.

About 36.44 milion persons were estimated to be working in unorganised manufacturuing enterprises during 2005-06. West Bengal had the highest share (15 per cent) of workers in these enterprises closely followed by Uttar Pradesh(14 per cent).

About 55 per cent of all workers were concentrated in five States, namely, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra.

The following are the other highlights of the survey: -- Nearly 94 per cent of all enterprises were perennial enterprises; ---about 98 per cent of all enterprises were proprietary enterprises; ---about 3 per cent of all enterprises had no fixed location of operation; ---about 90 per cent of all enterprises were not registered with any agency; --- about 92 per cent of all enterprises did not receive any assistance from any governmental or non-governmental agency; --- majority (77 per cent) of enterprises had other economic activities as the major source of income derived from agriculture, hunting, forestry, mining and quarrying.

The fieldwork of the survey was carried out during July 2005- June 2006.

The Report, first in the series of three Reports, is based on the data on unorganised manufacturing enerprises, provides infomation on estimated number of working hours, nature of operation and status of registration.

The survey entailed all India level fieldwork for different industry groups and at the States and Union Territory level for all the industry groups taken together. The term 'unorgansied manufacturuing enterprises' refers to all manufacturing enterprises, which were not covered by Annual Survey of Industries(ASI). All government and public sector undertakings were outside the coverage.


Please Wait while comments are loading...