Aizawl, Dec 15 (UNI) Mizoram Ex-servicemen League has accused the state Government of dropping plans to establish a sainik school even after all formalities had been completed.
Ex-servicemen president Col(Retd) Lalchungnunga Sailo said here today the State Government had refused to establish a sainik school in Mizoram because it would involve an annual recurring expenditure of Rs one crore.
In 1989, the Mizoram Ex-Servicemen League had submitted a memorandum to the Governor of Mizoram for the establishment of a sainik school, which was promptly followed up by the Governor by contacting Army headquarters, according to the ex-Colonel.
After many hurdles were overcome, the sainik welfare and resettlement directorate was given the task of inspecting lands offered by six village councils(VCs). The land offered by Chhingchhip VC was finally selected in June 2002. In 2003, a detailed project report for construction of facilities for the school to the tune of Rs 48.4 crores was prepared by the state PWD, which was approved by the State Council of Ministers in 2004, Mr Sailo said. After inspection, the Ministry of Defence gave its approval in February 2005.
By then the DPR had to be re-evaluated to Rs 61.71 crores for the school due to price escalation. In May 2006, in a Mizoram Rajya Sainik Board meeting, the Governor informed the Chief Minister that an annual recurring expenditure of approximately Rs one crore had to be borne by the State, but the Chief Minister insisted that he would had to consult his Cabinet again before giving any ruling on the subject.
Mr Sailo reiterated that Manipur, Nagaland and Assam each has a sainik school, which has proven to be a boon for the youth. Manipur now has more than 200 officers in the armed forces because of their school, he pointed out.