Save your pet-- Dont feed it chocolate

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

London, Dec 10 (UNI) Here is a piece of life-saving advice-- 'Dont feed your dog chocolate, it can kill the pet.' Pet owners do not realise that chocolate is highly toxic to dogs, as it contains theobromine, a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, which affects the central nervous system as well as the heart muscle of dog, British vets warned.

Humans and cats have the metabolism to cope with theobromine but dogs' digestive systems cannot.

Symptoms include hyperactivity, agitation, breathlessness, vomiting, diarrhoea and increased urination.

The danger to the dog depends on its size and the type of chocolate. Darker and more expensive chocolates contain higher levels of theobromine.

Vets warned against potential poisoning during the festive season, the Daily Mail reported.

Katy Horton, a vet here, said,''Pet owners often forget the hazardous aspects of the festive season. Dangers include chocolate decorations and edible presents wrapped under the tree. Avoid overfeeding your pet at Christmas, especially Christmas day leftovers; it is detrimental to their digestive system.'' UNI

Please Wait while comments are loading...