Chennai, Dec 8: Four people, including two from Pune, died of asphyxiation when they entered a newly constructed water treatment plant at the Hyundai Car manufacturing facility at Irungattukottai, about 40 km from here, last night, police said today. Police sources said the deceased were a site engineer, Maran (32) from Chennai, an electrician Mohan Inconi (25) and two labourers, Muthu (37) and Series Karate (22).
Mohan and Series Karate hailed from Pune in Maharashtra, while Muthu hailed from Kallakurichi in Villupuram district.
The sources said the victims entered the plant, situated in the Hyundai's second plant, for testing when they inhaled a poisonous gas.
When Maran, who went in first, did not return, Muthu entered in.
Then Mohan and Series Karate followed suit and did not return as well.
As none of them came out, a labour Santosh Gowda (24) from Orissa, entered in. The moment he inhaled the poisonous gas, he shouted for help and managed to come out.
Police, with the help of fire service personnel, recovered the bodies this morning and sent to Sriperumbudur Government Hospital for a post-mortem.
Santosh was admitted to the Sri Ramachandra Medical College Hospital, where his condition was stated to be stable.