Parliamentary panel wants AFMS to take care of stress of jawans

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Dec 7 (UNI) Lauding the role of Armed Forces Medical Services, some members of a Parliamentary panel today urged AFMS to address "stress factor" of soldiers.

An analysis carried out by the Army revealed that in a majority of cases,fratricidal killings were triggered by stress linked to personal problems such as property disputes and marital discord. The findings reveal that only 0.3 per cent cases were due to operational stress, while the remaining 99.7 per cent were due to family factors.

At a meeting of the Parliamentary Consultative Committee attached to the Defence Ministry, members across the political spectrum lauded the stellar role played by AFMS during the earthquakes in Lattur, Bhuj and Jammu and Kashmir, Tsunami in the coastal areas and in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and also in south Kerala during the outbreak of Chikungunya.

Describing AFMS a classic model of inter-service integration, Defence Minister A K Antony said it is a matter of pride these services have performed creditably during low intensify conflicts, counter insurgency operations or in open combat.

Besides the stress factor issue, members wanted expeditious filling up of vacancies in various hospitals run by AFMS.

Mr Naveen Jindal, Mr Shankhlal Majhi,Mr Suresh Kalmadi, Mr M A Kharabela Swain and Mr P R Rajan, all MPs, took part in the discussion, an official release said.


Please Wait while comments are loading...