BCCI dismisses talks of senior players' opposition to Kirsten

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Dec 4 (UNI) The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) today dismissed reports that Gary Kirsten is having second thoughts about taking up the job of coach because of opposition from senior players.

BCCI vice president Rajiv Shukla denied that the former South African opener has expressed his inability to accept the post due to media reports claiming that several senior players were unhappy with his appointment.

''It's all rubbish. Kirsten has written to Board President Sharad Pawar seeking some clarifications on certain terms and conditions in his contract. There is no question of him being apprehensive about the senior players,'' Shukla said .

''This is completely wrong. He had promised to get back to us by Monday which he did and things would be sorted out in the next few days once he receives those clarifications.'' Reports claimed senior members of the Indian team were not happy with Kirsten's appointment as they felt the current set-up with manager Lalchand Rajput, bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad and fielding coach Robin Singh had delivered the goods.

Kirsten, who met India Test captain Anil Kumble last week, said he wanted to speak to the players before taking a final decision.

''I have heard the rumours about some senior players expressing their concern about my possible appointment and I would prefer to have clarity on that before I commit myself to the job,'' he said.

UNI

Please Wait while comments are loading...