Hyderabad, Nov 29 (UNI) Andhra Pradesh Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA) Minister M Hanumanta Rao today said the government would confiscate the properties of two main accused in the Rs 15 crore scam in SSA scheme after the Venkatram Reddy Commission submitted its report.
Talking to newspersons here, Mr Rao said the CB-CID, investigating the scam, had already submitted its report. The report had confirmed the involvement of one Sarasa Devi and an SSA official Subramaniam, citing them as the main accused in the case.
The government had directed the revenue officials and police to identify the properties of the two accused, he said and added that their properties would be attached after receiving court orders.
The confiscated properties would be auctioned to recover all the money ''misused'' by the accused.
In order to curb such scams in the SSA scheme, the government had introduced regular internal audit of accounts at district level and taken steps to bring more transparency in the SSA programme, the minister said.
The SSA programme was implemented in all the districts with funds allocated by the Centre and the World Bank to achieve 100 per cent literacy and provide elementary education to all children in the state.
More than Rs 15 crore was siphoned off in the SSA scheme. The scam came to light when the CAG report indicted the government for ''misusing'' the funds in implementing the education programme last year.
The state government had ordered a CB-CID inquiry and constituted Venkatram Reddy Commission to probe the scam.