Hyderabad, Nov 23 (UNI) In the wake of the reports that 'Indian Mujahidin' had claimed responsibility for today's blasts at three places in Uttar Pradesh and that the August 25 twin blasts in Hyderabad had been triggered by them, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) today launched an investigation into whether the reports were 'genuine'.
According to the SIT sources here, the SIT officials immediately contacted the UP police and enquired about the way the blasts occurred and the explosives used in the cycle bombs at Faizabad, Varanai and Lucknow.
''This is the first time that an organisation claimed that it triggered blasts,'' the sources said, adding the SIT was probing whether the 'Indian Mujahidin' was an outfit of the 'Harkat-Ul-Jihadi Islami (HUJI), a Bangladesh-based terrorist organisation.
The state and the central intelligence and the investigation teams had almost come to the conclusion that the HUJI masterminded the Hyderabad twin blasts and the May 18 Mecca Masjid blasts, which claimed more than 50 lives.
The SIT was also interrogating the arrested, allegedly HUJI activists and sympathisers, to find out the links between 'Indian Mujahidin' and the HUJI.
The Andhra Pradesh Government had constituted the SIT to probe the twin blasts at Gokul Chat at Koti area and Lumbini park on August 25 in Hyderabad.
Meanwhile, the City Commissioner Balwinder Singh told newspersons that the private security at the shopping malls and cinema theaters were alerted and they reviewed the security arrangements with the police officials.