TOKYO, Nov 22 (Reuters) Canada's Bombardier Inc, the world's third-largest maker of civil aircraft, said no additional air carriers have said they would stop using its Dash 8 Q400 aircraft after SAS AB's decision to do so.
More than half of the 160 Q400 aircraft in service around the world were grounded in September after landing gear on Q400s flown by Scandinavian Airlines Systems collapsed on touchdown in a couple of separate incidents.
Japan's All Nippon Airways Co (ANA) also suspended all flights using Q400 aircraft temporarily.
''We are very disappointed with SAS's decision, particularly on the fact that the investigation is still ongoing,'' Todd Young, vice president at Bombardier, told a news conference in Tokyo on Thursday.
''To this point, we have received tremendous support from other Q400 operators ... We don't expect any kind of knock-on effect to other operators.'' SAS said last week it planned to cut 230 jobs in its Swedish business, partly due to the grounding of its 27-strong Q400 fleet after three of the aircraft had crash-landed in the last two months. No one was hurt in the crashes.
Bert Cruickshank, a director of industry&airline communications at Bombardier, told Reuters the sales prospects for the Q400 remain strong, with 276 Q400 aircraft on order and 164 aircraft in operation.
Australia's Qantas Airways Ltd recently ordered 12 Q400s and had options on 24 more, while Yemenia Airways has indicated in the past few days that it was strongly considering the Q400 for its operations, he said.
REUTERS SLD KP1552