Kolkata, Nov 14(UNI) The West Bengal government today sent a report to the Centre on the violence in Nandigram last week and announced a relief of Rs one crore for the affected people.
Home Secretary P R Ray said a report had been sent to the Centre on the present situation in the strife-torn area of East Midnapore district and the action taken for restoration of peace.
Mr Ray said altogether 900 houses had been damaged in the violence while 800 people were living in relief camps. The administration would take measures to ensure their return to home.
He said three suspected Maoists had been arrested from Sonachura recently and landmines and other arms recovered from them.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said yesterday that Maoists from Jharkhand had remained entrenched in the area for months and put up landmines and imparted arms training to the Trinamool Congress-led Bhumi Uchched Protirodh Committee(BUPC).
According to official reports, altogether four people were killed in last week's intense fight when CPI(M) supporters, who had been driven out of Nandigram by BUPC members, stormed inside to recapture the area in a few days operation.
The area witnessed a prolonged violence since January last claiming about 34 lives after a violent upsurge took place following reports of land acquisition for an SEZ.