No more SEZs in Goa, studying their implications: Kamat

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Panaji, Nov 13 (UNI) Categorically announcing that Goa would not require any more special economic zones (SEZs) following public uproar, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said he was examining all the issues related to the already proposed and notified SEZs in consultation with the party and the cabinet colleagues.

''No more SEZs in Goa. I kept on hold eight SEZs on my own. No decision would be taken against the interests of Goa and Goans,'' he said.

At the same time, he urged the opponents not to set any deadline for taking the decision as it required adequate time to study the issue, including the policy, besides legal implications if the government decides to withdraw the already notified SEZs Mr Kamat told media persons here today.

Interacting with reporters at the Porvorim Secretariat Complex, the Chief Minister said the Centre has approved seven SEZs and is processing the applications of five more, even as the state had notified only two.

He said he had already requested the Union Minister for Trade and Commerce Kamal Nath to put on hold five SEZs and wondered why there was no opposition when the Centre had approved seven such zones ''If required, we will reverse the process and I have to consult my party cabinet colleagues before initiating any action that needs a thorough study of the SEZs,'' Mr Kamat said.

He said he would examine legal implications of stoppage of works at Keri and Verna where SEZs had already been notified, as the government has to face the situation when somebody challenges the decision.

all political parties other than the Congress, including the coalition partner NCP, and non-governmental organisations had threatened to launch agitations if the government failed to scrap/freeze all the SEZs, which, according to them, were ''anti-Goan and anti-developmental''.

UNI

Please Wait while comments are loading...