Chennai, Nov 13 (UNI) A hot favourite of the crowd on the picturesque centre court of the Nungambakkam stadium here, Spaniard and former world no.1 Carlos Moya will be starting the new ATP world tour for 2008 with his sixth entry in the US Dollar 436,000 prize money Chennai Open, to be held from December 30 to January 6.
Event managers IMG announced here today that Moya had confirmed his participation in the 13th edition of the ATP world tour event and would be sharing the limelight alongside top stars like compatriot Rafael Nadal, as he did last year.
Confirming his participation, Moya said ''I always look forward to coming to India, especially Chennai. I love the adulation and support of the crowd in Chennai. I am confident that I will be able to raise my game to the highest level this time.'' Winner of 20 ATP singles titles, Moya captured an ATP championship for the eighth consecutive season and finished as the oldest player in the top 20.
Tournament Director Fernando Solar said ''Moya is a legend and Chennai Open is always delighted to host this true champion. With their class and temperament, players like Moya always bring a lot of excitement.'' ''We are confident that Moya will once again charm the crowd, having featured in three finals in Chennai. All of them have been classics. We are confident that he will once again charm the crowd with his charisma and scintillating tennis,'' IMG Managing Director Balu Nayar said.