Puducherry, Nov 9: A 12-year-old girl was killed and several thatched huts were gutted in verious incidents while bursting crackers to celebrate Diwali festival here last night.
Police said sparks from burst crackers fell on a bundle of crackers held by one K Kavitha of Chinnakalapet, bursting it in her hand. Kavitha immediately fainted and was rushed to the Government General Hospital. However, she succumbed to burns.
In another incident, thatched huts were gutted at several places in the Union Territory.
The loss in the fire mishaps were estimated to be around Rs 50,000.
Meanwhile, a transformer at Sulthanpet caught fire due to power leakage, causing a loss of Rs 3 lakh. Fire tenders from Villianur put out the flames.