Chennai, Nov 2: The Tamil Nadu Government denied any irregularities in land acquisition for setting up special economic zones (SEZs) and termed it as a baseless allegation.
In an official release tonight, the government said allegations of irregularities were baseless and contrary to truth. The government never acquired land on behalf of private entities setting up SEZs.
In case of government institutions like SIPCOT and TIDCO, it only handed over poramboke (cultivable waste land) or excess patta land in its possesion for the purpose.
The government's clarification comes in the wake of information sought by Ms Madhumita Datta on SEZs under the Right to Information Act, 2005.
Though the information sought by Ms Datta was given, she sought copies of plan documents and MoUs on SEZs being set up by the private sector for which she was asked to make a fresh application.
Based on her complaint, the Tamil Nadu Information Commission summoned the Information Officer on October eight and nine during which he had to present the copies of plan documents and MoUs.
The Information Officer informed the Commission of his inability to supply the documents under the RTI Act 2005, as the documents concerning private sector had been excluded from being given to private individuals.
A petition was later filed before Madras High Court which granted an interim stay. Since the matter is now sub-judice, no further information could be given, it said.