Ahmedabad, Oct 29 (UNI) The Nanavati-Shah Commission, probing the 2002 post-Godhra riots in Gujarat, has decided to go into full details into the allegations levelled by public prosecutor Arvind Pandya wherein he has made statements that could lower the dignity of the commission.
''Unless we verify the facts, we will not take any action against Mr Pandya. We must know the full facts'', says Justice G T Nanavati, chairman of the Commission.
Justice Nanavati told mediapersons here today that, ''We also have to ascertain how reliable was the exposure made by Tehelka, which exposes role of politicians in the post-Godhra riots'' He said ''We cannot act in a hurry. We have to be careful.'' He hinted that the allegations made against the Commission are of very serious nature rather than just contempt. Thus the Commission may initiate action under the Commission of Enquiry Act, he added.
The Home Department of the Gujarat Government has submitted a copy of the CD that contains the footage of the sting operation that was telecast by a television channel last week, to the Commission.
The state government has left it to the Commission to take appropriate decision on the issue, Justice K G Shah said.
Meanwhile, Jan Sangharsh Manch, an NGO, which represents a section of post-Godhra riots victims, had filed an application to the Commission, demanding that it should conduct an enquiry into the serious allegations levelled by Mr Pandya and order appropriate action against him for lowering dignity of the Commission.