Mumbai, Oct 22 (UNI) Public Prosecutor in the 1993 serial bomb blasts case, Ujjwal Nikam today advised the CBI to file an appeal in the Supreme Court, against the acquittal of Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt of charges of TADA.
Talking to mediapersons outside the TADA court after receiving a certified copy of the final verdict, Mr Nikam said he had partly gone through the judgement of the Court and he will advise the prosecuting agency to file an appeal in the Supreme Court against certain accused, who had been awarded lesser punishment.
He, however, said this is his personal opinion and referring an appeal against certain accused will be the sole decision of the prosecuting agency.
It may be recalled that Dutt was awarded six years of rigorous imprisonment (RI) and a fine of Rs 25,000 was slapped under the Arms Act, for possessing an AK-56 rifle and few hand grenades in the notified area of Mumbai.
He was acquitted of the charges of TADA by the special TADA court judge Pramod Kode, who awarded imprisonment to 100 other convicts, ranging from the death penalty to three years of RI, in the same case.
Meanwhile, in a related development, the Court has also handed over the copy of the judgement to three associates of Sanjay Dutt -- Russi Mulla, Karsi Adjania and Yusuf Nullwala, and also to another accused R D Mali, who was on bail along with Dutt.
Nullwala and Mali both surrendered before the Court and were taken into custody as per the directive of the Apex Court. However, Adjania, who was granted bail by the designated Court, will continue on bail and Mulla, who was released under the probation of Offenders Act, will continue to receive the benefit of the same Act.