Dentist administers poison instead of anaesthetic

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Chennai, Oct 16 (UNI) In what appeared to be a case of medical negligence, a 45-year-old man was allegedly administered poison instead of an anaesthetic drug at a private Dental College Hospital on the outskirts of the city.

However, the Hospital authorities though admitting their mistake, refused to provide the details of the wrong medicine administered to the hapless victim, N Duraraj.

As a result, the man suffered hair loss, loss of weight, constant headache and severe jaw pain. He was unable to open his mouth and was relying on liquid diet.

The man went to the Hospital on August four for pulling out a troubled tooth and was administered the poison. Suddenly, he felt giddy and started vomiting.

As he became unconscious, the Chief doctor, who was present found that he had been administered wrong medicine. After a series of tests and alternate injections, he regained consciousness in the evening.

Though the hospital authorities admitted negligence on the part of the doctor, they refused to give the correct medical report and the nature of drug administered to him.

When he sought a second opinion in other hospitals, fearing that he could suffer from any life threatening disease, the doctors insisted that the nature of treatment could be decided only after ascertaining what injection he was given.

Talking to newspersons today, Mr Duraraj, along with his advocate David Sundar Singh, alleged that he was confined in the hospital illegally and police also refused to take any complaint stating that there was no criminal liability in it.

Despite sending letters to the Chief Minister's cell, City Police Commissioner and the DGP, there was no response and the man was now contemplating to move the Consumer court.


Please Wait while comments are loading...