Davydenko expects betting probe to take another month

Subscribe to Oneindia News

MOSCOW, Oct 12 (Reuters) Russian Nikolay Davydenko said he expected an Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) investigation into his match against Argentine Martin Vassallo Arguello in August to take another month.

''I had a meeting with them (the ATP) last month in Frankfurt just afer the Davis Cup,'' he told a news conference at the Kremlin Cup.

''They had two guys from Scotland Yard there, but they're delaying the decision. I think it will be another four weeks.'' Internet bookmaker Betfair voided all bets on the match at the Sopot Open in Poland because of what it said were irregular betting patterns with more than 7 million dollars worth of bets placed.

Davydenko, the defending champion and world number five, won the first set but later retired with a foot injury when his opponent, ranked about 80 places lower, was leading 2-6 6-3 2-1.

The Russian made it clear yesterday he had not let the ATP enquiry or the press coverage affect his performances.

''I had good results in America (reaching the US Open semi-finals last month) and had no problems of concentrating on my matches.

''I'm really motivated now. I've got four more tournaments left this year and my goal is to finish in the top five,'' he said.

The ATP said they would have no immediate comment on Davydenko's remarks.

Britain's Andy Murray told Reuters earlier he would speak to ATP investigators at next week's Madrid Masters about his allegations that matches were being fixed.

''I'm not going to name any names,'' Murray said. ''I've just spoken to quite a lot of the players about that and there's obviously something that needs to be addressed.'' REUTERS BJR RAI1034

Please Wait while comments are loading...