LRTS possible after submission of mobility plan: CES MD

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Kolkata, Oct 11 (UNI) The Light Rapid Transit System(LRTS) is still a distant dream for Kolkatans as the Centre has asked the Consulting Engineering Services(India) Pvt Ltd (CES) to submit a mobility plan for the project.

With the construction of more Metro rails under the Rs 4,000 crore LRTS plan, the burden on road traffic would lessen manifold.

Prof Sudhangsu Sekhar Chakraborty, while addressing media persons at a felicitaion programme here today, said the project has already been approved by the Centre but is being delayed due to techinal hinderances.

''The Centre has asked for a mobility report. We have already submitted the Detailed Project Report but making a mobility report in city like Kolkata is difficult and will take some time,'' he said.

The mobility report is to asses the impact of the project on city.

However, he added that the Centre has asked the West Bengal government to allow CES to start the work with an undertaking to submit the mobility report soon.

''The project will be completed in two phases within six years from the date of commencement,'' Prof Chakrobarty, who was felicitated today at a CII programme for being awarded the Gold Medal 2007 by the Institute of Civil Engineers, UK on October five last.

He is the only Indian Civil engineer to have recieved the award.

Prof Chakraborty, who is also the Managing Director of CES, said the LRTS project would solve the traffic problem of the city as well as decrease the pollution level.

''We are the consultants for the state government but the construction will be done by Larsen and Toubro,'' he added.

The Centre would invest about 35 per cent of the total cost of construction, whereas the state government would bear 15 per cent of the total cost, he said adding that 50 per cent of the cost would be borne by banks and other financial institutions.

Prof Chakraborty, who has been involved in the design and construction of many landmark projects globally, is also famous for the construction of the Second Vivekananda Bridge in the city, which had won the most coveted International Bridge Category Award this year.


Please Wait while comments are loading...