Remove illegal constructions in VIP bungalows at Lutyen's zone: HC

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Oct 10 (UNI) The Delhi High Court today slammed the Union Government for not implementing its order to demolish illegal constructions in some VIP bungalows situated in the Lutyens Zone.

Lashing out at CPWD, the High Court asked whether the occupants of the VIP bunglows are above the law.

''Implementation of guidelines for bungalows should start from top and not from bottom,'' the court saidand directed the Ministry of Urban Development to take action against unauthorised constructions in Lutyen's Bungalow Zone(LBZ) and give a report by January 16.

''Are they above the law? If you allow the VIPs to carry out illegal constructions, then allow the judges and the common men to do that'', a Division Bench of Chief Justice M K Sharma and Justice Sanjeev Khanna said.

The amicus curiae Rekha Palli told the court action was pending for the removal of illegal constructions in 55 bungalows including those belonging to Railway Minister Lalu Prasad, Leader of Opposition L K Advani, Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan and senior bureaucrats including Intelligence Bureau Chief.

The judges also said if the competent authority does not stop the illegal constructions, there will be a ''tendency on the part of others to go for illegal constructions.'' They said action for the removal of illegal constructions must be taken by the CPWD department to maintain the sanctity and legal position of the bungalows because of their heritage status.

Ms Palli told the court that the Directorate of Estates surveyed the Lutyen's zone and found that 71 bungalows had violated the revised guidelines issued last year.

So far, the CPWD department officials have demolished unauthorised constructions in only 16 bungalows, she said adding that despite repeated directions from the bench, they failed to take action in the remaining 55 bungalows as they were occupied by VIPs including Mr Lalu Prasad.

UNI

Please Wait while comments are loading...