New Delhi, Oct 10 (UNI) The All India Institute of Medical Sciences today denied that a 75-year-old-patient, in whose body doctors had left a metallic screw during heart surgery, had died due to medical negligence.
However, the authorities at the premier healthcare institute said it will investigate the entire matter.
Gokul Prasad, who underwent heart bypass surgery on August 17, died on September 20. The 2 to 3 mm thick and 7 to 10 mm long screw had slipped from the sternum retractor, that is used during the surgery, and the doctors had stitched his chest cavity.
''The cause of death was multi-organ failure and not a cardiac problem which had been dealt with adequately... the entire matter will be investigated appropriately,'' AIIMS spokesperson Shakti Gupta said.
Dr Gupta said another operation was performed on the patient on August 20 to remove the screw after informing his relatives.
''The patient recovered and left the hospital on September 8.
But while going home at night on September 10 on taking some medicine he had severe allergic reaction along with multi-organ failure,'' he added.