Inquiry ordered into Badarpur blueline accident

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Oct 7 (UNI) The Delhi Government today ordered an inquiry into the Badarpur accident in which eight people were crushed to death by a blueline bus and announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh each for the families of the victims.

Addressing a press conference, Transport Minister Haroon Yusuf said the probe, headed by Deputy Commissioner (South) Rajeev Kale, will be concluded within two days.

''The probe report will serve as the basis for action against the guilty and we will get it within two days...,'' he said after chairing a high-level meeting of Transport Ministry officials at his residence.

He said compensation for nine injured people would be announced after the probe report was submitted to the Delhi government.

Admitting that the Government's drive to crackdown on rampaging buses had failed, Mr Yusuf said the speed control device-- Speed Governor-- of the bus had been tempered with.

However, the breaks of the bus, which was purchased last year, were operational according to a technical report, he added.

''The speed governor of the bus was tampered with... It was bypassed. We have been making every effort to check these bus operators but they come out with new ways of bypassing every new gadget,'' he added.

Immediately after the accident in the morning, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Anil Shukla had said the brakes of the bus had failed, resulting in the accident.

Announcing that the Blueline buses would be phased out within the next two years, the Transport Minister said 4,500 new buses will be introduced in Delhi soon.

''We cannot pull out all the blueline buses in one go... If that happens public will face inconvenience. It will have to be done in a phased manner over the next two years,'' he said.

''We cannot even get buses from other states as they are not CNG-run,'' he added.

Mr Yusuf said Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was monitoring the situation and action would be taken against the guilty.

''The permit of the bus and the driver's license has been cancelled...The government will explore all options to crackdown on such buses operators and owners,'' he added.

UNI

Please Wait while comments are loading...