Nagpur, Oct 6 (UNI) As many as 172 naxalites have surrendered during the first two years of the Maharashtra government's 'surrender scheme' for outlaws in Gadchiroli district of Vidarbha region.
According to police, the 172 naxalites surrendered between August 29, 2005, when the scheme was launched, and August 28, 2007.
Of these, 158 naxalites, including four dalam commanders/deputy commanders, had received the benefits of the scheme, including financial assistance, a press statement said.
The naxalite 'surrender scheme' had been extended for another year, up to August 28, 2008, as per a government resolution of October four last, the statement said. The scheme was granted an extension after the police department made recommendation to the state government in view of the increasing response, it said.
Under the scheme, those laying down arms are given financial assistance ranging from Rs 40,000 to Rs 10 lakh, depending upon their rank in the illegal movement, the statement said.
Those working as Divisional Commander or above get Rs four lakh to Rs 10 lakh, Dalam Commander Rs 2 lakh, Deputy Dalam Commander Rs one lakh, and area committee member Rs 40,000, it added.