Hoshiarpur, Oct 5 (UNI) As many as 35 migrant labourers residing at Lachowal village were taken ill after consuming contaminated boiled rice last night, police today said.
At least 25 victims were hospitalised at the local Civil Hospital last night after many of them started vomiting and complained of acute abdominal pain.
Senior Medical Officer of the Civil Hospital Dr Gurdev Singh said that all those admitted were suffering from food poisoning which might have been caused after they had consumed the rice. After providing first-aid 20 of them had been discharged.
The five who are still under treatment in the hospital were identified as Sunil, Arvind, Tara Chand, Heera Lal and Gesu Sardar.
Their condition was stated to be stable.
Deputy Commissioner D K Tiwari distributeda sum of Rs 500 each to the five undergoing treatement at the hospital. He instructed the hospital authorities to provide free medical treatment to them.