Lahore, Oct 3 (UNI) The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) today denied media reports that it has offered to pay 10 million rupees to former captain Inzamam-ul Haq if he announces his retirement from all versions of the game.
''The news about the PCB assuring and guaranteeing Inzamam 10 million on his retirement from Test cricket is absolutely incorrect,'' a PCB statement read.
'The News' had earlier reported that in a meeting held between PCB chairman Naseem Ashraf and Inzamam, it was decided that the 37-year-old batsman would be paid 10 million rupees as a noble gesture for his services to the nation's cricket.
After that speculation were rife about the former skipper's future as most of the nation's media reported that Inzamam was all set to call it a day after featuring in the second test against South Africa from October 8 in Lahore.
The PCB also said that in the next two to three days a decision would be taken on Inzamam's future.
''Any policy decision regarding Inzamam will be announced in the next two to three days and the decision would be in the larger interest of Pakistan's cricket future,'' the PCB chairman was quoted in the statement as saying.
After Pakistan's humiliating exit from the Caribbean World Cup, Inzamam stepped down from the captaincy and announced his retirement from ODIs. He, however said that he would continue to play Test cricket.
Interestingly, when his availiabilty for the ongoing home series against South Africa was inquired by the national selectors, he turned down their invitation citing personal problems.
Inzamam had also joined the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) along with his three other colleagues Mohammad Yousuf, Abdul Razzaq and Imran Farhat. However, in a major coup d'etat of sort, Yousuf had turned down the breakaway league's offer and on PCB chief Naseem Ashraf's persuasion, he signed a central contract with the nation's board and returned to Pakistan fold last week.