Christchurch, Oct 2 (UNI) New Zealand all-rounder Chris Harris is hoping that signing for the breakaway Indian Cricket League (ICL) will not come in the way of his playing domestic league for Canterbury.
Harris was confirmed as a signing for ICL last Saturday along with fellow New Zealanders Chris Cairns, Nathan Astle and Hamish Marshall.
Cairns and Astle have retired from the game at international level while Marshall declined a New Zealand contract and is playing for English county Gloucestershire.
Harris turned down a new contract with Canterbury for 2007 -08 season as New Zealand Cricket (NZC) said none of its nationally or provincially contracted players would be released to play in the Twenty20 format ICL which is to start in mid Novemeber.
Harris expects his ICL commitments to finish in late December and hoping that Canterbury would consider picking him after that.
''I'd like to think I could play for Canterbury again but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge yet,'' Harris told The Press newspaper.
''It was hard turning down the Canterbury contract but I wanted to keep my options open. I'd still love to play for Canterbury, if they wanted me in the future,'' said the 37-year-old who last last played a Test in 2002 and an ODI in 2004.
''Given how the World Twenty20 event took off and that India won it I'm sure it will be well received over there.
It should be great for the game,'' he added.
Harris said figures of nearly 500,000 dollar that had been bandied about for ICL signing were well off the mark.
''The numbers are nothing like what have been quoted in the media but are still significant.'' UNI