New Delhi, Sept 24 (UNI) The government today said the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) will not accept any new applications for unified access services licences (UASL) after October 1 till further orders.
Earlier in the day, Telecom Minister A Raja said the government would form new guidelines to help it scrutinise applications and narrow down the list of interested firms, subject to the availability of spectrum.
''DoT is looking at formulating guidelines for screening new applications. I have also directed that there should be select applications only,'' Mr Raja told reporters on the sidelines of 'Meghdoot Award' function here.
There are about 185-190 new proposals from various companies seeking to obtain the universal access service licences (UASL) to start their services in the country, according to DoT.
Recently, real estate firm like DLF and Parsvanath had applied for the UASL to provide telecom services in the country.
At present, about eight million mobile users are added every month.