New Delhi, Nov 28: The government today trashed reports that the conservation works at the Red Fort and the Qutub Minar were carried out recently without using appropriate conservation techniques and using sub-standard material.
In a written reply in the Rajya Sabha, Tourism and Culture Minister Ambika Soni said the conservation work of these medieval monuments was carried out as per the routine annual conservation programme chalked out every year by the Archaelogical Survey of India (ASI).
A detailed Comprehensive Conservation Management Plan for the Red Fort is under preparation for renovation works, she said.
Ms Soni said the ASI had undertaken regular maintenance and conservation programme of the protected monuments, besides structural conservation, wherever necessary.
''The conservation of the monuments is a continuous process,'' she added.
Replying to another query, the minister said protected monuments and site museums under the ASI and museums directly under the Culture Ministry and its autonomous bodies had adopted measures for adequate protection by way of deploying CISF guards, installation of CCTVs, metal detectors and fire smokers.
Barring a few incidents, no major case of theft had been reported in the recent past, she said.
''Security arrangements of all the museums under the administrative control of the Indian government are being constantly upgraded and strengthened,'' Ms Soni pointed out.